Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Fashion Designer by Day..Dugout Mom by Night

After a long day of analyzing business numbers, selecting fabrics and designs for Judith March's upcoming collections, I was excited to get out of the office and head to the ball park for Fox's first ever T-ball game. 

Not only was it Fox's first time at T-ball, it was also my first time as Dugout Mom. I really didn't know what to expect, but as I arrived to the field I knew I was in for an entertaining evening. Imagine this. Sixteen four to five year old little boys on a baseball field. Some were rolling around in the grass, some were running around like wild Indians, some were trying to balance their gloves on their heads, and they were all excited to use their outside voices. 

As game time approached their coaches rounded them up for their first real team huddle. They all put their tiny hands in and not so unanimously yelled "Go A's!" So began the beginning of Fox's baseball career and my career as Dugout Mom! 

As dugout mom my job was fairly easy. Bring snacks acceptable to the boys (Gatorade and goldfish), line all the boys up ready for the batting line up, get them ready for batting (helmets, bat, encouragement--check, check and check) and help the coaches maintain order. All the boys on the team are so sweet and well behaved--so they made my job easy as pie!

After two innings of play the game was called. During the game all of our little baseball players got on base, hit the ball, ran to home plate, had a handful of goldfish and had a glorious time! Red faced and exhausted the boys made their way to their last team huddle for the day! All the parents watched, each one radiating with pride as they showered the boys with praise and encouragement. Each time one of their teammates or opponent touched the ball they cheered along with the fans of both teams!

The entire event only took about 45 minutes, which was enough time for me to learn how thankful I was for the blessing of getting to be dugout mom! I only hope Fox's baseball career continues so my dugout mom career can as well. :P



No comments:

Post a Comment